St. John’s junior college transfer Marc-Antoine Bourgault has been declared eligible and will travel to Charleston, S.C., to join the Red Storm for today’s game against Murray State in the Charleston Classic.
Bourgault has two years of eligibility remaining and will be listed as a junior on the St. John’s roster.
Bourgault (pronounced “bore-GO”) had been participating in all St. John’s practices and intrasquad scrimmages while awaiting the NCAA’s decision, but could not participate in the Red Storm’s two exhibition contests or season-opening victories over Detroit (Nov. 13, 77-74) or the College of Charleston (Nov. 15, 64-53).
“We are pleased Marco will now be able to contribute to our team’s efforts on the court,” said head coach Steve Lavin. “In addition to being an outstanding shooter, Marco is a fundamentally sound basketball player. He possesses a high basketball I.Q. and exhibits exceptional court sense. His skill set lends itself to both playmaking and shotmaking opportunities. We expect Marco to torch the nets from long range.”
Bourgault, a 6-6, 210-point swingman from Saint-Malo on the northern coast of France, averaged 10.8 points in 2011-12 for Monroe College in New Rochelle, N.Y.
Fellow JUCO transfer Orlando Sanchez still awaits an eligibility ruling from the NCAA.
MARSHALL’S CANTY INELIGIBLE
Marshall freshman guard Kareem Canty is ineligible to play and practice this season, per the AP.
Marshall says the NCAA has denied Canty’s initial eligibility, although he’ll retain his athletic scholarship and can rejoin the team after the spring semester.
The 6-foot-1 Brooklyn native had been expected to help Marshall fill the departure of Damier Pitts.
Marshall (1-1) plays the District of Columbia on Friday and South Dakota State on Saturday in the 2K Sports Classic on Long Island.