Following an internal review, St. John’s is no longer recruiting former Oregon point guard Dominic Artis, a source familiar with the situation told SNY.tv.
St. John’s decision to discontinue the recruitment was independent of the decision made Monday at the University of Oregon, the source said.
Oregon on Monday said that three former basketball players — Artis, Damyean Dotson and Brandon Austin – have been suspended as students for a minimum of four years, and up to 10 years, as a result of rape allegations involving a freshman student.
The trio were dismissed from the team last month after a student filed a police report alleging she was sexually assaulted by the players.
Prosecutors decided there wasn’t enough evidence to criminally charge the players, who said the sexual contact was consensual.
John Clune, the attorney for the alleged victim, said the suspensions are dependent on how long the woman remains at the school. He said it would have been hard for her to continue if the players remained on campus.
St. John’s remains in the mix for 2015 guards Isaiah Briscoe and Brandon Sampson, while Artis must find a new home.
He would have two years of eligibility after he sits out next season.
(The AP contributed reporting)